If you are expecting twins and are considering breastfeeding, a twin breastfeeding pillow will be an essential purchase. (Check out our previous posts of breastfeeding –The Good, The Bad, The Ugly here for more on this popular topic).
As breastfeeding pillows go, there are several options on the market. But what features should you look for? Lactation Consultant Raechel Hackney, RN, IBCLC, from Lactation Care, Inc. addressed this question in our previous Breastfeeding Twins Q&A article:
Various nursing pillows are available on the market, however a mother should choose a very firm pillow, ideally with a strap to keep the pillow hugged in close to her. There are a number of twin nursing pillows on the market, which will assist a mother nursing both babies simultaneously.
One of the first questions that new twin moms ask themselves is whether to nurse simultaneously (in tandem) or one baby at a time. The right choice is a very individual one, and will depend on a number of factors. They include:
- whether both twins nurse equally well (if not, you might have to nurse each one individually so you can devote more attention to the one that doesn’t eat as well).
- whether you are being asked by your pediatrician to supplement with formula.
- whether your twins latch on well or you have to reposition frequently.
- whether you are comfortable and physically able to place each twin on one breast and keep them in a correct position (this is not as easy, as twins–especially newborns–don’t have great muscle tone and it’s hard to grab one with just one hand as you keep the other one latched on!)
We found a great article at Having-Twins.com that shows very helpful how-to images and describes the basics of breastfeeding twins in tandem or one at a time.
The reason a breastfeeding pillow is a must is that it keeps your babies in the right position, and–equally important–keeps you comfortable. Comfort for mom is essential, as sitting in an upright position can be taxing on your back muscles, and many new moms of twins will have just emerged from a long period of bed rest, which can make simple things, such as sitting upright, a little harder.
So how do the pillows rank up? Here we have assembled reviews from different web sites so you can compare and contrast.
Twin Z Pillow:
This twin nursing pillow can only be found online: http://www.twinnursingpillow.org/
It was created by a mom of twins, and is made in the USA. It comes in funky colors and patterns, but the biggest feature of this pillow is that it has 4 positions in one, and the fact that it has a full back, unlike any other breastfeeding pillow out there!
Here’s a testimonial from their website:
Hi! Greetings from —– –. We have 2 month old identical twin girls. We found your pillow by chance online when we were thinking ahead to how I was going to feed two babies at once when my husband goes back to work (our girls are all bottle fed).
This is by far the BEST purchased we have made since the girls were born. I have the My Brest Friend twin plus pillow, which is nice but yours is SO much better! The Twin Z pillow is so sturdy – it’s almost like a couch cushion and that makes it so wonderful. Much sturdier than the Boppy pillows. Right now the Twin Z is the only place my girls will consistently sit and be happy or fall asleep (besides crib at night).
We’re even considering buying a second one (nursery is on the second floor, kitchen and our room on the first, would be easier to have two than drag the one around!). Thanks for an amazing product. It’s been a sanity-saver for us and we’ve only had it 3 or 4 days. – Amanda
We would love to hear what our readers have to say about this pillow!
My Breast Friend Twins Plus Pillow
Product Description (via Amazon): The My Brest Friend Twins Plus Pillow is designed to support new mothers of breastfeeding multiples. Babies can be fed at the same time or individually in the football, cross cradle and many other holds. The My Brest Friend Twins Plus wraps securely around your body to ensure proper latch and positioning and adjusts to fit most sizes.
There are a bunch of accessories that come can be purchased for the My Brest Friend, including slipcovers in various colors.You can purchase this pillow at Magic Beans as well as online. Amazon.com user twinmamma writes of her experience with this pillow:
When my twin boys were first born, I was determined to tandem feed them until their first birthday..I was using pillows to support them while nursing, and it was absolutely impossible to feed them without either my husband or mom to help me latch the babies on….My boys are now 5 months old and I am exclusively breast feeding them in tandem, and it would be impossible without this pillow. I place each baby on one end of the couch, sit in the middle of them, lift each baby onto the brest friend, latch them on, and off we go! The foam is firm and dense enough to keep them in place while I am nursing them (although I do still have to use my hands to keep them latched on, otherwise they pull off and start crying). It supports their weight very well. I haven’t had any problems with the boys “sinking” now that they weigh more as I have heard some of the other reviews mention. I’ve washed the cover multiple times and haven’t noticed any crumbling from breast milk, nor have I had problems with the foam breaking off like some reviews talked about…If you want to successfully tandem feed your twins, this pillow is a must! I cannot say enough good things about it.
Here’s a positive quote from another Amazon user Andrea E.Winkle : I love how this product has a flat surface to place the baby(ies) on so they don’t roll towards you or away from you like babies do when I’ve tried my Boppy.
Double Blessings EZ-2-Nurse Twins Inflatable Nursing Pillow
From DoubleBlessings (founded by a mom of twins) comes an updated version of their original inflatable nursing pillow (created in 1995), easy for travel and first time moms. Here’s the product description from Comfort First:
- NEW! Waterproof & Inflatable (Phthalate-free) Feeding Pillow
- Includes zippered, removable & washable cover
- Secures behind mother with an adjustable strap and side-squeeze buckle so it stays in place (One size fits most – up to a 52″ waist)
- Designed by a mother of twins especially for you!
- ANGLED TOP SURFACE positions babies towards mom
- WATERPROOF, surface-washable & Phthalate-free
- Inflates to your individual comfort level ~ Convenient for travel!
- INCLUDES detachable back pillow for mom’s comfort & support
- INCLUDES free “Double Quick Pump” ~ inflates pillow within minutes
Your Mama Reviews had a mom-blogger review used this pillow with her two newborn twin girls. Here are some features of the pillow:
The pillow has a buckle-strap that goes around your waist. The back-rest pillow is actually cut out of the main pillow’s waist area so you can store the back part easily when you’re done nursing. The pillow cover has a little pocket to stash your remote control, bottle of water, washcloth, phone, etc
However, it seemed the monstrous size of this pillow drowned her teeny tiny twinnies! **Keep that in mind when testing out your pillow, and maybe delay your purchase until your twins develop a bit more neck/head control:
This pillow is just big big big, dwarfing the girls’ helpless little bodies. Plus, without any neck control or body mass, the girls just rolled toward the middle when I tried to tandem nurse.
Double Blessings Ez-2-Nurse Pillow —- now San Diego Bebe Eco Twin Nursing Pillow!
Created by Mom-preneur Sandy Clark, who says it is the number 1 selling breast feeding pillow since 1995, and can be found at the company she founded DoubleBlessings.com . The original version of the pillow is not as luxurious as the updated version, but it has a patented design invented by Sandy, a mom of twins, and has some unique features. Its position can be adjusted -angled up for breast-feeding, flattened down for bottle-feeding, and has a pillow to support moms as well. It’s also free of lead, Phthalates and PBDE.
I can’t say enough about this fantastic pillow. My twins didn’t fit on the boppy but once I got this it was so easy to feed both of my boys at the same time. I love the fact that they are not being exposed to harmfull toxins while feeding. I am excited someone finally came out with an eco-friendly option.Anything we can do to help their little immune systems not be exposed to too much is great!
The pillow that is included helps when they take longer to feed and I can just relax and watch tv while they sleep/feed.As n additional comment, the colors are so cute in real life. The pictures doesn’t do it justice.
In 2009, Sandy updated her original pillow to the more luxurious San Diego Bebe Eco Twin Nursing Pillow :
Here are some pro’s of this product, courtesy of ComfortFirst.com:
- Designed GREEN for your baby’s future: Made of 100% virgin polyfiber. Hypo-allergenic, non-toxic, non-flammable and recyclable. Odor-free, glue-free, foam-free, lead-free and Phthalate-free.
- Signature Privacy Cover: Complete discretion while nursing! Lightweight mesh allows continuous airflow, and stores inside its own pocket when not in use. Easily detachable for quick machine wash-and-dry.
- Signature Comfort Bolster: Complete perimeter bolster provides extraordinary support and comfort, surrounding your baby in soft, reassuring security. Extra piece of mind for mom, too.
- Superior Surface Design: Patented angled surface design positions baby’s head and body towards mother’s breast, encouraging proper positioning, latch, suckle and swallow.
- Detachable Back Pillow: Positionable anywhere along mother’s spine for optimum posture and comfort, helping to relieve back, shoulder and neck strain.
- Comfortable Fit up to 52″ Waist: Adjustable waist strap with Quiet-Squeeze™ buckle keeps pillow secure.
- Luxe Fabrics & Chic Colors: High-quality fabric covers are removable for machine wash-and-dry. Wrinkle-free and lead-free (no zippers or snaps).
- Convenient Dual Pockets: Elasticized “Bottle Holsters” on one side of pillow, second pocket for remote or cell phone on the other side. Holds everything necessary within close reach.
The Privacy Cover we haven’t seen on any other pillow listed thus far, so that is a major perk for this pillow. It makes breastfeeding in front of friends or visitors that much more comfortable for you and your twins.
So, have you decided what your favorite one is? Did you already use one of these for your twins and love it? We want to know!
And if you want to read an inspiring story about an unstoppable twin Mompreneur, make sure to stop by today’s Twin Tuesday profile of Sandy Clark. Sandy contacted us a few weeks ago and kindly offered to provide us with a San Diego Bebe Eco Twin Nursing Pillow for a reader giveaway, which we will be doing very soon!
Sites That Link to this Post
- Profile of Sandy Clark from Double Blessings | March 27, 2012
- Twin Tuesday Giveaway - San Diego Bebe Nursing Pillow | March 29, 2012